Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Warning! Naked Breast takes Northern Virginia by Storm!

So today I stopped by the office of the Northern Virginia based magazine Elan, to pick up some copies of their May Edition, in which there happens to be a profile article on me. I was told that since I was a profiled artist, I could go and pick up six free copies of my very own. I politely called their office for directions and headed to pick up my shiny, new magazines. I was filled with excitement and anticipation! I see the office door..oh boy! I enter quietly. It turned out to be a very bizarre experience, to say the least. When I walked in, there were two gentlemen, both on the telephone. One of the men, upon completing his phone call, stood up and looked at me with a strange expression. I say, "Hi, I am one of the artists profiled in your magazine this month and I..." I am quickly interrupted when he says in a rather unpleasant manner, "Why, YES you ARE. You lost me five subscribers this morning." In which I respond (just a note that I have not even seen the article yet at this point), "You lost subscribers because of me...because of the work?" "Yes, he replies." So now I am thinking to myself, wow I sent them a cd with fifteen or so images, a few of which had some nudity(breasts)..but many did not have any exposed parts at all. Apparently one of the works they chose to publish in the magazine has a naked breast(GASP!), and apparently some subscribers were so shocked and appalled by the lude display of this oh so taboo female body part, (a painted rendering of a....a breast!)they called immediately and canceled their subscription. As I was leaving the office, I apologized to this gentleman for the loss of these five subscribers and tried to add a positive spin on the situation by telling him that maybe he would gain five new, more progressive and open-minded subscribers in their stead. He did not seem to like my remark and left me with, "Well, I hope you enjoy being famous for a day!" Hmm...the day is almost over. Strange, I don't feel any different. Hmm...I guess being famous for a day(whatever the heck he actually meant by that), isn't all it is cracked up to be. I do want to say that I commend them for having the guts to take a risk and actually show some art that isn’t as “safe” as the stuff they normally feature. I would also like to tell the gentlemen who seemed so bent over the loss of those subscribers that while I feel badly about it, maybe he needs to relax and ask himself why he is involved with the publication of an ART magazine in the first place. Yes, Virginia, I’m talk’in about ART.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Creegan said...

Geez that is completely F'd up. And here I was thinking of moving to Virginia or DC for the art scene. Congrats on getting the show!

10:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph Barbaccia said...

Three Things:

1) Love you Leda and the Swan, Great interpretation.

2) elan has, in the past, published ads for breast enhancement surgery.

3) Why would elan single your painting as THE offending female body part image that cost them subscribers when they have a full frontal nude by Picasso on page 30?

And, why not, 4) adrienne, I don't like the image of "a concerted clampdown on breats in DC." It sounds too S&M. However, "Angst for the Mammaries" is a howl.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Joseph Barbaccia said...

Three Things:

1) Love you Leda and the Swan, Great interpretation.

2) elan has, in the past, published ads for breast enhancement surgery.

3) Why would elan single your painting as THE offending female body part image that cost them subscribers when they have a full frontal nude by Picasso on page 30?

And, why not, 4) adrienne, I don't like the image of "a concerted clampdown on breats in DC." It sounds too S&M. However, "Angst for the Mammaries" is a howl.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Joseph Barbaccia said...

Sorry for the double post.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

the painterskeys.com community Get Firefox!