Sunday, May 01, 2005

What is Art?

Defining the Undefinable

Ok, so I am getting ready to graduate with an Master of Fine Arts degree...so now I should have all the answers to those deep-rooted questions about art and life, right? Um... not so much.
I spend so much time thinking about how strange it is to be an "artist"... to be so entirely dedicated to something that I cannot even truly define...it is making my head hurt! Of course I've had to research different definitions and have even come up with various blurbs of my own, yet none seem to truly explain this thing, ART.
So..here is what I am going to do: each week I will do some research and post a different definition of ART. If you have one that you know of (you know, one of those famous people from the art history books) or one that a Professor or colleague quoted OR one that you have come up with all by yourself that you would like to share, e-mail it to me at Candeedee@aol.com. Please just be sure and give credit where credit is due; in other words, no cheating and giving yourself credit for that great Picasso quote you found! C'mon people..play with me!

Here's this week's:
"Art condenses the experience we all have as human beings, and, by forming it, makes it significant. We all have an in-built need for harmony and the structures that create harmony. Basically, art is an affirmation of life."- Trevor Bell

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Creegan said...

Trevor Bell taught at FSU for many years. Thats where I just got my MFA from. small art world! I am trying to figure this out post graduation as well!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

the painterskeys.com community Get Firefox!